Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cue the Lunch Lady Song

I am Vegan & I Do Love YOU!

Oh Boy - I've done it now. I'm the new lunch lady at Ruby's school. Hairnet jokes aside, I am thrilled beyond belief and ready to dive in for some serious happy healthy lunch making. The time this takes will work itself out, right? YES it will!

SO - Yesterday was a big deal - we turned on the stove and made beans & rice. WOO! The school smelled delicious as the onion and garlic paved way for the refried beans....the rice was gussied up with some tomato paste and garlic, it was downright "Spanish." There were some corn chips, salsa, bananas and carrots, too. Eighty kids ate yesterday, a record number since the change in the program. Super amazing volunteers are making this happen, giving their mornings for prep and driving to pick up donations or buy food. People are amazing. They care. They make things happen! And, they want their kids to eat a healthy veg lunch which means I am stoked.

I have all kinds of hopes about this food program. I want the kids to eat a healthy lunch. I want to help them feel good and feed their brains. I am so excited to work with amazing Portland people to learn and create recipes, inspire the kids and build awareness about plant based nutrition. I feel like there are so many possibilities and so many ways to make kids lives better. WOO!

15 comments:

  1. You miss, are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! Not only were my school lunches flesh-centric, they looked and definitely tasted bland and mass produced. Or just stunk of that metallic "dumped-from-a-can-and-heated" effect. Ugh. Lucky, lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible! :D How wonderful that must feel. Portland is so receptive to such things. I hope to be part of similar things when I move to Austin. Thanks for sharing and I wish you continued success! Keep us informed on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sooo amazing. How did this come about? I hope I can do something similar for my son when he starts school. Otherwise its just him making everyone else jealous of his fab vegan lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so fantastic! The kids and the animals are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Move over Jaime Oliver! Woo-hoo!

    Lady, please let me know if there's any way I can help. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great model you are creating for other schools! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's super superb. Keep up the goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers! I can smell another cookbook in the air or better yet a cafeteria consultation program! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much everyone! i actually think this project is part of the whole EAT LIKE YOU GIVE A DAMN idea. 'cause that's what it's all about. now cue the hokey pokey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog...I know, you'd of thought I would have discovered it long ago. I love this! You are my hero:) Now if you could just tackle PPS lunch menu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so awesome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete