Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hey Good Lookin'!

Welcome to my world.

I'm Michelle, and I am one lucky vegan. I have an amazing, creative, hilarious husband (Josh) and an even more amazing, funny, sweet, etc., five-year-old daughter (Ruby). As co-owner of The Herbivore Clothing Company, I get to work at a place I own and love, and I get to be the boss. Woo! I live in Portland, OR, the vegan mecca of these United States, and my beloved company is located in the world's only All Vegan Mini Mall, right between Sweetpea Baking Company and Foodfight! Grocery. Scapegoat Tattoo is two doors down. Like I said, I am one lucky gal.

One of the very best parts about working at Herbivore is helping people. In my world, in order to really help animals, I must begin with humans. I show folks that veganism is easy, fun, delicious, normal and really the preferable way of life - and one that anyone can have - and it is awesome. Simply put. I am allowed to sell people items they need and want, that don't hurt animals and that will help them do good for animals, too. Ah, it sounds so goofy, but damn if it isn't true.

After four years working in our Herbivore storefront, I've congratulated and welcomed so many new vegans I can't count 'em anymore. I've also gently nudged some back into veganism after a fall back to the dark side....and I've demystified and preached the goodness of tofu, seitan, nutritional yeast and agar agar a jillion times. I can talk about vegan food, vegan health, vegan pregnancy, vegan kids and why vegan is so fantabulous in my sleep! I am also quite happy to detail the grim reality of farmed animals to people if that's what they need. I can also help you replace an egg in a recipe, lickety-split. If you have ever been to my house, I have cooked for you, guaranteed.

Cookbooks are a big part of Herbivore. I'm an eater, I love to cook, and in my opinion, there can never be enough cookbooks! The more there are, the more there will be, and the more vegans there will be. Which is a good thing. So what the heck, I'm gonna write one, too. It's called Eat Like You Give a Damn, just like our popular shirt. It's the motto I believe does a lot of good, which is the whole point.

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog already a million times more than most of all the others. nice job!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete