Thursday, November 11, 2010

To Pumpkin Pie or Not

This morning Megan asked me what recipe I use for pumpkin pie. I looked at her and replied, "I don't make pumpkin pie." I know, crazytalk! But I've never made a pumpkin pie. Of course, we immediately we had to go looking at the books in the store to compare pumpkin pie recipes. Here are a couple that we think look like winners.


Classic Pumpkin Pie, Please

Both The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick Goudreu and Vegan Baking Classics by Kelly Rudnicki, have, you guessed it, classic recipes. Straight up, pumpkin pie. JOVB uses cornstarch as a thickener, and VBC uses tofu. 
Great Pictures in this one











Love the recipe & color pics!

But then we took a look at Sweet Utopia by Sharon Valencik and were seriously wowed by her Pumpkin Nut Pie, which is a basic pie using cornstarch and tofu, but with a cinnamony-sweet walnut topping. Finally, if you have extra time, or really love both pumpkin and pecan pie, you must make the pumpkin pecan pie in My Sweet Vegan by Hannah Kaminsky. Pumpkin pie, with pecan pie filling on top, finished with pumpkin creme. Lordy!

Super Decadent Fancy Pie

Truthfully, I never liked pumpkin pie until maybe the last 10 years or so. We didn't make it in my family...and whenever I had it, it was always jiggly and mushy - and with no crust on the top. Foreign food overly sweet at somebody elses house. Ewww. Besides, what kind of pie has no crust on the top? The best part of the pie is the crust. And since I am more of a fruit pie person, with cherry pie being my absolute most favorite, there has never been a reason to make pumpkin pie. But I do love pumpkin...and I have some adorable sugar pumpkins that were acquired on one of our many visits to various farms this fall...I think this just may be the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment